Trinity United Methodist Church at the southeast corner of Mississippi Avenue and Evergreen Streets in Little Rock celebrated its fiftieth anniversary with a weekend of activities in late September, 2008.
Organized in 1958 by a small group of interested people who realized that the rapidly burgeoning area of, what was then, the western limits of Little Rock had many families with young children and older adults who had no convenient place to worship. The movement to establish a church developed quickly.
The first service, led by a pastor appointed at the June Annual Conference, was held on June 8, 1958 in the Pulaski Theater on Kavanaugh Boulevard in the building that now houses Feinstein’s women’s apparel and Mary Healey’s Jewelers with about fifty people attending. A borrowed piano accompanied group singing and pop corn boxes served in place of overlooked collection plates for the first service. In slightly less than a year, the first permanent building had been erected and attendance grew quickly.
Since that time, buildings have been added to accommodate needs of the growing congregation and activities so that the value is many times the $17,500 original investment on which the church was launched.
Needs of children and young people have been a central concern of the congregation from the beginning. A nursery school, opened in 1967, enjoys a reputation for sound educational practices and was the first in the area to accept children with special needs. Believer’s Village, a rotational, hands-on experiential Christian education program is offered for grade school children during the Sunday School hour and many additional activities for children and youth are provided. An energetic full-time Youth Director leads, activities, exploratory discussions and mission trips for the young people.
An outstanding music program includes, in addition to an excellent Chancel Choir, a hand bell choir and choirs for children and youth of all ages. A highly successful Trinity Presents Performance Series, supported independently of church financing, has offered outstanding entertainment and cultural programs each season for more than twenty years. The popular River City Men’s Chorus, directed by the church’s Minister of Music but financed by voluntary support, performs several programs each year. Both of these outreach programs are free of charge and open to the public.
Five active United Methodist Women’s circles, designed for varying interests and needs, and an active Methodist Men’s group add greatly to study, and worship opportunities and provide many valuable services.
Fifteen adult Sunday School Classes offer study and fellowship for different ages and stages. A DMA (Don’t Mention Age) organization meets monthly for a potluck luncheon and fellowship for senior citizens. Frequent Bible study groups are offered.
The Missions Work Area group has been involved and has been so successful in so many projects that they have been dubbed the Miracle Team.
A small chapel adjacent to the sanctuary offers opportunities for meditation and provides communion service weekly.
The church seeks, through the leadership of a Senior Minister, a dedicated staff, and active and caring lay leaders, to serve people of all ages and needs and to welcome them warmly to the beautiful facilities and open hearts of the church and its people.
Katherine Stanick, Church Historian